The current director general of the Directorate General of Banking Supervision is Mercedes Olano. The Associate Directorates General Banking Supervision I y II, are occupied Francisco Monzón and Agustín Pérez Gasco respectively.
- SSM Coordination and Supervisory StrategyDirector: Xavier Torres
Deputy Director: José Miguel del Río
- LSIs and other Institutions outside the SSM Director: Javier del Río Deputy Director: Isabel Bueno
- Significant Institutions I Director: José Antonio Gracia Deputy Director: Sonsoles Eirea
- Significant Institutions II Director: Antonio Morillo Deputy Director: Luis F. Díez
- Horizontal FunctionsDirector: Susana Camiñas Deputy Director: Ignacio Marín
- Inspections, Internal Models and AML Director: Bárbara OlivaresDeputy Director: Alberto J. Alonso de Linaje
The Directorate General Banking Supervision is responsible for:
- Supervising, as part of the Single Supervisory Mechanism, the solvency of and compliance by credit institutions and the other financial institutions and markets subject to Banco de España supervision with the specific regulatory and disciplinary rules governing them. To this end, it is responsible for: carrying out the ongoing supervision of supervised institutions and their groups, and of those of their shareholders, directors and managers, through analysis of the information available and through inspection visits.
- Formulating the necessary proposals for the adoption of preventive, disciplinary and cautionary measures in respect of the above-mentioned institutions, groups and individuals.
- Contributing to defining the Banco de Espana’s supervisory policy, in coordination with other areas of the Bank, in particular the Directorate General Financial Stability, Regulation and Resolution, in the national and international spheres, except in respect of the functioning of payment systems and instruments, the provision of payment services, market conduct, banking transparency and customer protection, submitting the pertinent reports and proposals to the governing bodies of the Bank.
- Reporting, proposing resolution where appropriate, on requests by credit institutions and other financial agents which the Banco de España has to assess or authorise, in the areas entrusted to this Directorate General.
- Drawing up draft rules on accounting by credit and other supervised institutions, and resolving enquiries in this connection.