The euro is a secure currency. However, if you should receive a suspicious banknote in the course of a financial transaction, it is advisable to follow these recommendations:
- Do not accept the suspicious banknote and explain you are not sure it is authentic.
- Politely ask your customer for another banknote, without casting suspicion on their honesty. Do not take any risks.
- Immediately report the incident to the police or security personnel. Take note of as much information as possible.
- If you suspect you have accepted a counterfeit banknote, you must not pass it on to another person as this would constitute an offence.
- Deliver the suspicious banknote to the police, to a credit institution, or to any branch of Banco de España. If it is authentic, you will recover its value.
If it is a counterfeit banknote, it cannot be exchanged and the owner loses its face value.
You can obtain more detailed information on the steps to be followed at: